Similar dog onesies here & here
Happy November Everyone!
A lot of you responded to my stories in regards to the goodies I was baking/cooking asking for some recipes. So I thought it would be cute to put all details together and give you some background on why we do it. This post will be a long one with all the recipes so please bare with me!
It has been a long lasting tradition for my mom, my aunt, my sister, and I to bake some goodies at my grandparents house and deliver them to family and friends on Mischief Night. When we were really young, my aunt would surprise us and bring us some candy and write “BOO” on our front steps. This was something we looked forward to each year and couldn’t wait for it. So when we got to be a little older, we asked her if we could join in and we started baking goodies to give out instead of some candy. We bake for 2-3 days and make our rounds to friends and family. Our list of stops grows each year and the items we bake get more and more complex, but we love it so much. It has been our tradition for over 7 years, and I can’t wait until I have kids that can do it with us. We then deliver the goodies on Mischief Night and write “BOO” on their front walkway. Everyone looks forward to it each year and we do too! My sister and I dress up in onesies and so the drop off, it’s so much fun!
This year we decided to be a little different, and each year we truly do get a little more complex and crazier. We usually bake a bunch of cookies or halloween goodies, but we switched it up a bit. We baked and cooked Butternut Squash Soup, Homemade Bread, Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, Spiced Pumpkin Seed Brittle, Vanilla Scones, Christmas Jam, Caramel Apples with peanuts, and NY Style Crumb Cake. We also look forward to hearing everyones favorites and depending on their tastes, we hear all different ones. My personal favorites was the jam and the soup. I ate a half a jar of jam all by myself on Monday because it was THAT good.
I will share all of the original recipes, and changes that we made below:
- Butternut Squash & Apple Soup – My mom & aunt are huge Ina Garten fans, so we always make some of her recipes. We made some change to her recipe so I will list ours here as well.
- Honey White Bread – this is another Ina Garten recipe & it’s delicious! We have made homemade plain bread before but wanted to try something a little different so decided to give this a try. I had some with my soup for lunch yesterday and it was out of this world! We followed the recipe exactly except for the fact that we used LIVE yeast and we were making 12 small loaves, so we doubled the recipe. When using live yeast, make sure the water and milk are hot and at the temperature stated in the recipe. We used a candy thermometer and took the temperature of both the water and the milk.
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies– We didn’t change a thing with these. There was a lot of the cream left over and we saved it for a sweet treat on bread.. delicious!
- Spiced Pumpkin Seed Brittle– We added in sunflower seeds. It was soooo good!
- Vanilla Scones – We didn’t change anything but let me just tell you, these were a huge hit! They taste similar to the Starbucks scones. They taste even better with some jam!
- Christmas Jam – When I tell you this is the best Jam I have ever had… I kid you not. I ate half a jar the alone the day we made it. It tastes good on bread, on crackers, on everything. It is to die for!! We ended up adding a bunch of strawberries to this recipe because we wanted more strawberry. I would suggest grinding the cranberry and strawberry and seeing what you need more of.
- Caramel Apple – So we changed this up a bit, we had 12 mini granny smith apples so we used about 28oz of caramel (2.5 -11 oz bags), 3 cup of peanuts that we ground up, and instead of lollipop sticks we used witches brooms from walmart. They came out so delicious and good!
- 8. NY Style Crumb Cake –
- Let me know if you make any and how it comes out !
This post will be a little fitness update as well as one of my go-to breakfast meals, Overnight Oats. I am currently doing 80 Day Obsession (beachbody program) and it is all about timed nutrition and fueling your body at the right times. As a part of the program they say you should be eating a hearty meal 1 hour prior to working out. I workout everyday at 6am due to my work schedule which means I have to eat at 5am. I obviously do not want to get up and cook something so I have been doing overnight oats and loving it.
4 oz Almond Milk
1/2 frozen banana
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1 scoop Protein Powder
I make a smaller portion for myself since I am eating so early so you can obviously increase the ingredients based on how you want it. I usually also put almond butter in there but didn’t want to today. I put all the ingredients in and mix them together. I use a frozen banana because I found that when it thaws out overnight, it gives the oats a really good taste. The banana will obviously turn brown by the morning time, but it gives it a really sweet flavor. I sometimes do blueberries and strawberries or other fruit, it just depends what kind of mood I am in. If I am not using any fruit I usually put about a tsp of honey to make it a little sweeter.
I then mix everything together and just put it in the fridge until the next morning. I mix it all together again before I eat it, and it tastes amazing. I use the cinnamon in the morning to top it off. See below for the next day:
So, as I mentioned above, I am doing the 80 Day Obsession by Beach Body. I am on day 11 and loving it! I started doing BBG for the 3 weeks between The Max Challenge and 80 Day Obsession and I didn’t feel challenged enough, and I also wanted something with a set meal plan to follow. There were food ideas but no meal plan and I found myself starting to stray, eat unhealthy, and start to gain a little weight back. I am the type of person who needs consistency and a good plan to follow. Nothing against BBG at all. Once I get to the weight I want to be I will do BBG for maintenance and to maybe gain more muscle.
80 Day Obsession is similar to 21 Day Fix with measuring your food in the given containers and following a set meal plan, except it is much longer. I contemplated doing the 21 Day Fix since I only have about a month until Miami and I want to get more toned, but decided to do a longer program to keep myself accountable.
I am absolutely loving it so far. I find the workouts extremely challenging but in a good way. I look forward to that 6am workout and truly give it my all. I can’t wait to see what the remaining 69 days are like. For me even though I will be going away for a Bachelorette Party, to Miami, and will be in a wedding during the 80 days, I was excited to know that this would end right around the time I go to Aruba and gave me a reason to keep pushing play! I will keep you all updated as it progresses and give updates through the multiple phases of the program. I have not stayed 100% strict. I would say about 95%, but that is what I need in order to stay on a program and be happy!
What keeps you motivated? What workout program are you currently doing? Let me know in the comments below.
Jamba Appliances Blender // Protein Powder // Multi Compartment Shaker Bottle
My favorite after gym meal is a nice green smoothie! I have been obsessing over this protein powder (limited edition) and it’s taste. I have tried various flavors and have never been disappointed.
I came across Ideallean about two years ago when I was looking for a protein with a good flavor so that I could make protein pancakes without them tasting bad. This is now the only protein I will buy. It’s extremely reasonably priced and so delicious!
My go to smoothie is usually:
1 honey crisp apple
1 cup Almond milk (unsweetened)
2 tablespoons Almond butter (organic from Costco)
1 cup kale (sometimes a little more)
1 scoop protein (Ideallean)
You can always change this up with different fruits and peanut butter. I also found that this tastes good with pineapple too, instead of the apple. I always add greens into my smoothie to make sure I am getting enough vegetables in my day.
I also have to mention how amazing this blender is. You can juice items in here as well. I put oranges and lemons with the peel in there and it completely blends everything. I highly recommend it!
Hope you enjoy! What is your favorite smoothie recipe?